It’s official, I’m the best procrastinator in the world. The positive in all of this is that it has given me lots of ideas for my writing such as this wonderful list of 25 ways to prevent yourself from de-cluttering. Enjoy!
25. Start a new project. Hey, why not? You’re ambitious enough to start de-cluttering, so how can you not go ahead and tackle some more crap?
24. Put together a photo album using all of the old pictures you just found while working in your first box of junk. You’ll get back to de-cluttering later.
23. Bake a cake. It just sounds like a good idea.
22. Eat the cake. Well, you can’t bake a cake without at least having a piece of it.
21. Exercise to work off the cake you just ate.
20. Call your mother…or someone else’s mother. Depending on which one will keep you on the phone longer. Sometimes, dragging out all of your old stuff makes you feel nostalgic and you just feel the need to call your mom.
19. Take a Youtube break. Some funny videos will surely motivate you to get back into what you were doing. About two hours later, you’ll get to that second box.
18. Go househunting. The biggest problem you have is a lack of space. That’s what’s been creating the clutter, so why not attack the problem at the source. Just find a bigger house.
17. Tweet! You owe it to your followers on Twitter to let them know how you’re doing with that big de-cluttering project. Just a couple of tweets and then you’ll get right back to it.
16. Decide that now is the right time to rearrange your cd collection by style and then alphabetically by artist.
15. Move your furniture around. Maybe your feng shui is off. Moving the couch just might help things look less cluttered.
14. Call a friend. You just found your old high school yearbook and it brought back lots of memories for you. You’d better call your friend before you forget how much you really want to talk to them right now. It’s only been ten years.
13. Plant something. You just unearthed (no pun intended) three packs of seeds and it’s such a beautiful day outside. Why not go ahead and plant these while you have them in your hands? It’s supposed to rain tomorrow, so you can do more de-cluttering then.
12. Listen to your newly alphabetized cd’s in order. Music helps you work faster doesn’t it? As long as your dancing breaks are kept to a minimum, it really shouldn’t interfere with anything.
11. Re-connect with old friends on Classmates. That song you just heard reminds you of the time you went to that dance with your friends and everyone was acting crazy, but having so much fun. I wonder where they all ended up.
10. Look for that cd you couldn’t find when you were alphabetizing earlier. I know I had a Rob Base cd. But where the hell is it? Did I loan that to one of my friends? Was it really twenty years ago?
9. Listen to your husband read the newspaper out loud. Sit and roll your eyes as you politely tell him that you can’t concentrate on what he’s reading to you right now.
8. Have a quick discussion about what you’re working on and why you don’t have time to read the newspaper right now.
7. Make yourself a snack. It’s been a long morning and all of this de-cluttering avoidance has made you very hungry.
6. Take a Facebook quiz while you’re eating lunch. Why not? They’re fun.
5. Answer a few e-mails.
4. Fix that problem on your website that you just noticed because of an e-mail that someone sent you. It won’t take long to do this.
3. Take some books back to the library. You just found that book that should have gone back two weeks ago. Shit, that’s gonna be a big fine.
2. Write down the idea you just had for a short story that has something to do with a woman who was found dead under a mountain of cardboard boxes filled with Happy Meal toys, books, old magazines and yes, one containing that Rob Base cd.
1. Blog. You forgot to do this earlier and what the hell, you’ve managed to completely waste the rest of your time today. Try it all again tomorrow.
Until next time…
Subscribe to Benston Blogs by Email